I have a secret crush on my slow cooker. It’s so easy to love someone that cooks for you all day and then greets you with the enticing aroma of dinner as you walk in the door. I try to use the slow cooker at least once a week and this week I made refried beans. It was super easy and you don’t even have to soak the beans prior to cooking. Love that! My little one loves eating the beans with cheese as her meal but I made oven baked tortillas topped with the beans, chicken, cheese, salsa, avocado and sour cream for my husband and myself. Delicious!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 8 hours
• 2 cups dry pinto beans
•1 onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 6 cups of water
• 1/4 teaspoon cumin
Optional: 1/2 of a seeded and chopped jalapeño or other hot pepper.
1. Combine all the ingredients into the slow cooker.
2. Cook for 8 hours on high.
3. Remove the onion. If you have too much liquid remaining, drain some and save in case you need to add back to achieve desired consistency.
4. Mash beans with potato masher or immersion blender for a smoother texture.
5. Garnish with shredded cheese and avocado slices. Enjoy!